[ExI] Basis of Belief

Vladimir Nesov robotact at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 07:02:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Randall Randall
<randall at randallsquared.com> wrote:

>  Nothing inside the universe can be evidence for or against
>  a Creator of the universe.  Either you believe in such a
>  thing or you don't, but there's no way to get from one of
>  those beliefs to the other with reason and evidence.  If
>  you believe, there's nothing about our universe which
>  could logically dissuade you, since God made it like that.
>  If you don't believe, even miracles and Jesus himself
>  coming to talk to you should only be (e.g.) evidence that
>  you're in a simulation or that you're delusional, rather
>  than that Christianity is ultimately true.
>
>  Of course, people do change their minds, cease to believe,
>  and so on, but they don't do it for rational reasons.

There is a huge number of factual claims about the world for which
there is no evidence. It directly corresponds to them having insanely
small probability for you. What is the prior of 1Mb Christianity
primer? That's what you are still left with.

--
Vladimir Nesov
robotact at gmail.com