[ExI] An anomalous point

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 28 09:59:51 UTC 2008

Hi Amara,

I attribute the deviation of the US on these 2 graphs to our strong
individualism.

The people who didn't get along well in other countries were the ones to
come to America.  We've learned to make quick but shallow friendships,
but Americans seek friends both in churches and in voluntary
associations.  See Alexis de Tocqueville*,* who noted the voluntary
associations soon after the American Revolution.   I see the
individualism as creating labor mobility and the attendant prosperity,
loneliness that makes us satisfy our need for human contact in clubs and
churches, and an inner hunger for secure significance that a religious
theology can bring.  So I see individualism as the prime cause for the
religiosity.

Now what kind of religion came to America?  A lot of anti-pleasure
religious doctrines, which joined historic accident and racism to make
drugs illegal and fill our many prisons.  I wonder if someone has good
estimates of  how much lower our prison populations would be if drugs
were as legal as addictive Valium or codeine used to be when I was young.

With these concepts I find living in the anomalous points explainable
and less disconcerting.  And they direct my efforts toward reducing
rigid religiosity and ending the insanity of Drug Prohibition.

  - David Harris, Palo Alto, California