[ExI] An anomalous point

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:21:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:
> Despite my knowing the language, living where I am now is more
>  than ever like living in a foreign country. Sometimes I am struck
>  at how anomalous the US really is.
>
>  Steve Jurvetson notes the outlier position of the US in a plot
>  of religiosity versus wealth (per capita GDP normalized):
>
>  http://flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/2275614130/

Very interesting.

So the US is an anomaly because it is both rich and religious. It is
also an anomaly because things get done.

In Europe we don't take seriously things like religion, patriotism
etc. This is good. I was watching the debate between the two Spanish
top politicians before the election, and I realized that I was
watching it as one watches a sport game, not believing for a second
that they really meant any of their electoral promises. This is also
good, one should not be too naive.

But here in Europe things do NOT get done. This is not so good.

I wonder what is the correlation. Why do religion and naive patriotism
correlate with results.

G.