[ExI] Problem with Pattents

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:02:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Tom Tobin <korpios at korpios.com> wrote:

> I think we're looking at the situation the wrong way.  Instead of "How
> can pharma companies recoup their R&D costs?", I'd like to ask "Is
> there a better way to enrich the public good regarding medicine?"

I could not care less if pharma companies recoup their R&D costs. What I am
only saying is that economic fundamentals say they would not and could not
spontaneously invest in R&D if pharma patents were abolished or
substantially shortened, all the rest being equal.

There are however plenty of other conceivable methods to finance and/or
motivate R&D. The Soviet Union, e.g., put a Sputnik in orbit without a
patent system at all. :-)

Stefano Vaj