[ExI] The Manifesto of Italian Transhumanists

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 17:08:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:
>  But some issues are non negotiable. Of course I am talking of stem
>  cell research and civil rights such as abortion and gay marriage, but
>  also of the general principle that no religious order of cult should
>  ever be allowed to interfere in public policy making. In Italy the
>  xian church has claimed and still claims the right to make policy, and
>  we are just against it.

Additionally, I do consider it a very bad idea and a great risk to
align Italian transhumanism and extropism with themes and positions
that, far from having anything to do with any flavour of
libertarianism, are 100% in the area of neocon extremism, where the
alliance with the few local (i.e., catholic) teocons and creationists
is promoted together with the ideas of Western supremacy; military
imperialism; strong-arm attitudes towards internal dissent, political
opponents and freedom of speech; and clash of civilisations.

I am referring to the ideas mostly represented in Italy by the
staunchest Bush supporters in the postfascist party Alleanza Nazionale
that Mr. Pelanda officially supports, in particular as a member of the
Promoting Committee of the Fondazione Fare Futuro, the think tank
established by one the leaders of the extremist wing of said party,
Adolf Urso.

Now, having been the victim myself of repeated reductio ad hitlerum
attempts (regularly coming from the right of the Italian H+
movement!), it is not my intention to call for any obstracism of
anybody based on his associations. But I would find any identification
of the Italian H+ movement with such area - the real importance of
which is almost entirely based on the transatlantic supports it still
enjoys - indeed very limiting, taking also in account that at a
popular level such ideas are very badly received by the vast majority
of both conservative and progressive publics.

Thus, I accept myself to be interviewed by the daily newspaper of
Alleanza Nazionale and welcome the comments on my books by magazines
of that area, but I think that the Associazione Italiana Transumanisti
does very well in markinh its difference from those who may share the
legacy - or rather the luggage - above.

Stefano Vaj