[ExI] The Manifesto of Italian Transhumanists

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 18:55:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 6:48 AM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > I have always been fascinated by how Transhumanistic ideas/cryonics, etc.,
>  > seem to find fertile ground in some nations/regions, but not others.  I
>  > would have thought Japan would strongly embrace Transhumanism but that has
>  > not been the case as far as I know.
>
>  Generally speaking, the Japanese have embraced promotion of human
>  values via increasingly effective technological means to an extent
>  significantly **exceeding** popular acceptance in the US, Canada, and
>  Europe.  I suspect that what your perceive as non-Transhumanism is the
>  relative deemphasis of child-like visions of individual attainment
>  (god-like powers, expanded hedonism, personal immortality) favored by
>  many in the west.

According to various interesting polls, I believe it fair to say that
the country the most transhumanist by far in terms of popular
mentality is without any doubt India. Taking into account the cultural
and religious legacy that Europe has to a large extent repressed
during centuries of monotheist egemony, but that has always more or
less been active in India, I must say that I am hardly surprised.

Stefano Vaj