[ExI] Dieties

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 20:27:32 UTC 2008

> I wrote:
> >Are the dieties of India "jealous gods?"

Damien Broderick replied:
Mostly jealous of each other's chow; they are certainly *hungry*
gods, those dieties.

I suppose I could try to deconstruct what you wrote. lol  Would their "chow"
be the praise mana/memetic power generated by their worshippers?  Do these
gods compete over worshippers so they can slake their hunger (and thereby
not eventually "fade away into oblivion like so many past gods")?  Or is it
much more of a "friendly competition" among their mortal devotees?  I am
imagining a Neil Gaiman "American Gods" sort of scenario. : )

When I used the phrase "jealous gods" I was thinking along the lines of the
Old Testament.  The "I am a jealous God, you shall have no gods before me,"
statement from Exodus.  But I was thinking that in the Hindu paradigm that
it was acceptable or even laudable for mere mortals to ascend to divinity.

Perhaps if Mormonism continues to be the second fastest growing religion in
the Western world (after Islam), their "As man is, God once was, as God is,
man may be," couplet will have a positive effect on the acceptability of
radical transhuman/posthuman upgrading.
John