[ExI] Survival

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 08:54:26 UTC 2008

On 01/01/2008, deimtee <deimtee at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> >The set of coherent English sentences that can be spoken in 45 seconds
> >is large but finite. What reason have you for assuming that this set,
> >or indeed a larger set, contains a passage that will persuade anyone
> >of anything whatsoever?
> >
> There is probably no single 45 second oration that will persuade everyone.
> It will be based on your personality, beliefs, prejudices etc,  and
> individually tailored to persuade whoever it is talking to.
> The AI will be able to deduce whatever  will convince you.  It is
> smarter than you, and thinks much faster.
> I think it  may take longer than 45 seconds, (I know some people who
> take longer than that to parse things they agree with :)  but it WILL
> persuade you.

There are two separate questions that need to be considered here:

(a) Is there at least one string of text that will persuade any given
person of anything whatsoever? (Obviously, as you have pointed out,
the string will have to vary depending on the person and the subject
matter).

(b) If there is such a string, will a given AI be able to find it?

I don't see any reason to believe that the answer to (a) is "yes", but
even if it is, I don't see why the AI should be guaranteed of finding
it. For a start, there is a limit to how much information can be
obtained about a person through a limited bandwidth medium. If you
read everything I have ever written that has appeared on the Internet,
neither you nor a Jupiter brain will be able to deduce whether I
prefer chocolate or vanilla ice cream.

--
Stathis Papaioannou