[ExI] Survival (was: elections again)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jan 1 21:26:59 UTC 2008

On Dec 31, 2007, at 8:08 AM, John K Clark wrote:

> "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com>
>
>> You seem to believe that we can't change
>> the future
>
> The future will be determined by what Mr. Jupiter Brain wants, not
> by what
> we want. Exactly what He (yes, I capitalized it) will decide to do I
> don't
> know; that's why it's called a Singularity. Maybe He will treat us
> like
> pampered pets; maybe He will exterminate us like rats, it's out of our
> hands.

I think you mean "It" as I doubt the Jupiter Brain will choose to be
gendered or at any rate choose  among merely two.
Perhaps It will see the importance of non-initiation of force and a
live and let live stance regardless of the fact that It for the moment
is the most powerful and self-sufficient being in local space.

No guarantees but then there never are.  We manipulate what levers we
can to as much advantage as we can and attempt to mitigate risks and
prepare for contingencies.   Hopefully we are wise enough to
understand what it is not in our power to control.

- samantha