[ExI] Asteroid on track for possible (probability of 1:25) Marshit

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 00:29:28 UTC 2008

Bryan Bishop wrote:

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Ian Goddard wrote:
>>  If there are not working plans, who is going to
>> pay for coming up with them? And if there are
>> working plans, who is going to pay to implement
>> them? Why
>
> I am not sure about this money issue. I wonder if
> the mere aspect of, say, saving the planet from
> near total destruction would catalyze the right
> people to make the rockets and so on, maybe the new
> space industry. Perhaps Masten would know? I think
> he's subscribed here.

 A possible responce, albeit perhaps neither useful
nor testable, might be: suppose the USA was a true
free-market economy since 1776. Technology would then
be so much more advanced we may have colonized and
terraformed Mars by now. There might also be many
private companies searching for and mining astroids.
Given such a space-faring society, the technology
would be already in place to locate and terminate any
astroid headed toward our terrestrial homebase.

 If so, then the quiry I raise may reflect that a
society whose progress is stiffled under heavy
regulation is held at the mercy of the regulator since
it is not allowed to do for itself. ~Ian

http://IanGoddard.net

"A proposition can be true or false only in virtue of
being a picture of reality." - Wittgenstein