[ExI] Donate to the WTA $25,000 Matching Grant

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jan 3 20:39:38 UTC 2008

http://www.transhumanism.org/match/

Francis Fukuyama, a member of the President's Council on Bioethics, called
transhumanism the "World's Most Dangerous Idea." He is not alone in his
deliberate misuse of transhumanist ideas. There are dozens of organizations
that use their multi-million dollar coffers to spread anti-transhumanist
memes and lobby politicians.  Announcing the World Transhumanist
Association's first major fundraising campaign.

The WTA has done a lot with a little. We have grown to 4,700 members
worldwide, and transhumanist topics are increasingly part of mainstream
debate, yet last year our budget was only $8,000. Now we want to see how much
more we can do with more.

The immediate objective is to upgrade our communications to give
transhumanist opinions a stronger voice. The generous matching grant by the
Life Extension Foundation and Cartmell Holdings means that if we raise
$25,000 independently we will secure a total of $50,000 in funding for the
WTA, enabling the organization to shift into a higher gear. Please help us
take advantage of this opportunity.

Any gift you make to the WTA will be matched dollar-for-dollar until January
31, 2008.

What Your Gift Will Support

Stanford Transhumanist Association's Yonah Berwaldt & Michael Jin (Yonah
Berwaldt & Michael Jin at the Singularity Summit at Stanford)

Student Outreach

Grass-roots, future-oriented student groups at universities can influence
critical-thinking young people at an important stage in their intellectual
and career development.

We want to do a one-day event at a top university to trial-run an idea: What
if there were a group of young, bright, energetic transhumanists traveling
from university to university, holding one-day events on issues relating to
science, technology, and society?

A traveling band of young transhumanists to inspire students.  Identity &
Website Update

Proceeds from this fund drive will underwrite our desperately needed website
redesign and brand identity overhaul.

Transvision 2008

TransVision conferences bring extraordinary people together from across the
globe to discuss the ethical use of technology to expand human capacities.
The discussions range from artificial general intelligence, to genetics,
prosthetics, nanotechnology, life extension, cryonics, the singularity,
global security, the environment, arts and entertainment. The venue for the
2008 TransVision is currently under consideration. Following this fund drive,
we will be announcing some exciting plans.  H+ Digital Magazine

The H+ Magazine will be a fresh, fun, powerful way to present our ideas to
members and the public. Edited by visionary journalist R.U. Sirius, creator
of Mondo (precursor to WIRED), it will feature stories, interviews, news and
events, covering life sciences, nanotechnology, AI, law, entertainment, arts,
and more. Digital format will let us share the magazine with tens of
thousands through mailing lists, social sites (e.g. Facebook), and online
advertising.