[ExI] Survival

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sun Jan 6 01:34:00 UTC 2008

MB
>I am happy that things are finally coming together for you. It is my
>hope that one
>or both of your notebooks will surface -

You might not understand what happened. The package of my calculations
notebook _did_ surface, but most of the contents were not in it. You can
see in the photographs (third and fourth of this set)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spaceviolins/sets/72157603456349361/
that it was sent with 2kg of stuff (the postage shows the full amount
for 2kg: 16 euros), and what arrived was a ripped edge, taped up with
the United Postal Service clear tape, and with most of the contents
missing. The notebook has inside my name and phone number and email
address, but I doubt any Italian postal worker will think a notebook
written in English and with funny Greek symbols and charts has any
value. A SwRI colleague inspected the envelope from the inside, and he
thinks that it was cut. I honestly don't know what to think, but it
doesn't matter any more. The notebook is gone, and I've already started
to try to reproduce what was there. Under some pressure.. my work group
of that project wants to publish *real soon now*...

There is another package that never arrived, but I'm doing without it,
and the loss wasn't as great a tragedy. I cleaned up the mess, put the
used envelopes in the trash last week as a kind of New Years Resolution
to start fresh, and I wish mostly to forget about it and move on.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado