[ExI] A Simulation Argument

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 04:21:26 UTC 2008

Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> > Do we live in a real universe or in a
> > computer-generated simulation of a universe?
>
> The Many Worlds Interpretation explains the apparent
> observer-dependence of quantum level events without
> invoking the simulation argument, or the ever
> weirder alternative whereby physical reality
> *really is* determined by the observer.

 It's not clear to me that because the MWI explains
quantum observation phenomena by positing countless
numbers of entities (worlds) it is preferable to a
theory that explains by positing *only one* entity, or
world, containing a simulation of a world.

 If Occam's razor is a useful rule of thumb and the
simulation theory is equally explanatory as the MWI,
we should reject the MWI outright given the economy of
the simulation theory. Indeed, the MWI would seem to
be a prototype violation of Occam's razor wherein
entities (worlds) are multiplied beyond necessity.

 Furthermore, MWI requires that we posit states of
affairs without antecedent in empirical experience.
Nobody has seen one world branch off another world.
MWI is metaphysical. On the other hand,
computer-generated simulations have antecedence in
experience because humans have created and observed
them. So at least we know worlds with simulations in
them can exist. The simulation theory is therefore
built up by classical Humean induction on empirical
experience, which is to say the simulation theory
looks like a scientific hypothesis, whether or not
falsification criteria have been, or can be, clearly
defined. ~Ian

http://IanGoddard.net

"What is 'real'? How do you define 'real'? If you are
talking about what you feel, smell, taste, and see,
then 'real' is merely electrical signals interpreted
by your brain." - Morpheus