[ExI] A Simulation Argument

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 18:46:35 UTC 2008

scerir wrote:

>> [1] Definition of 'real external world' :
>> observable area outside an observer the
>> fundamental components of which exist as they are
>> observed by the observer independently of the
>> observer's observation of them.
>
> I don't realize the difference between
> simulationism and other religions (like Islam,
> or Christianity).

 We've never seen or known of a 'God' who created a
real universe. We've never observed entities that are
'gods' or 'angels' nor any of the supernatural powers
they're said to posses. On the other hand, we have
observed computers and the ability to create simulated
realities with them. In theory, a computer could
create a simulated world as real and complex as our
world, and it could in theory contain
computer-generated sentient operators who see that
simulation as their 'real world'. Fragments of this
scenario have already been developed. So simulationism
posits no supernatural entities, it simply induces
that what's possible in our visible region may be
possible in a universe that contains our visible
region. This is a major difference from religion-based
models.

> But the concept of 'real' external world
> is not an easy one. Even the usual definition
> of external physical 'reality' [1] appears
> to be flawed in many ways (disturbing a
> system ... can predict with certainty ...).

 But for the argument posted the objective was simply
to present a definition of 'real external world' that
models intuition underling the classical view of
reality. I wasn't trying to articulate *The* one true
definition of reality. Just performing an exercise in
seeing where classical intuition about our relation to
the external world can take us given results of
quantum experiments. ~Ian

http://IanGoddard.net

"Since proofs need premises, it is impossible to prove
anything unless some things are accepted without
proof." - Bertrand Russell