[ExI] Many Worlds (was: A Simulation Argument)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jan 8 23:42:32 UTC 2008

I'm going to confess my shameful failure to understand a key aspect
of the Many Worlds Interpretation.

A basic premise of quantum theory, as I understand it (in a
rudimentary way), is that what we see always comprises a
superposition of all possible states of the relevant phenomenon. The
reason a light beam travels on the least action pathway is that this
is what happens when all conceivable pathways are taken
simultaneously, interfering with each other as they do so in such a
way that the observed straight line, or geodesic, comes out in the wash.

Uh-huh.

I have read Deutsch's book with its peculiar talk of shadow photons,
which appear to subsist in numerous orthogonal universes that
mysteriously influence each other. And yet most discussions of MWI as
applied to decisive choices, for example, appear to suppose that any
observed state branches into a multitude of alternative experiences.
You turn right, and you turn left, and you go home, and very very
rarely you fly into the sky. Presumably, therefore, we must imagine
that in one universe a given light beam will jig along a random dog's
leg path, and it's only a sort of "God's eye view" that might
perceive the kind of hyperreality where all those dogs' legs congeal
into a straight line.

But actually there is no "God's eye view" unless it is the one we
experience routinely.

Does anyone see the problem here? It's so basic that I must be making
an elementary mistake, but I have never been able to see what it is.

Damien Broderick