[ExI] Feynman's approach

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 04:36:27 UTC 2008

After looking at the recent emails about MWI, Copenhagen, etc., I just
wanted to add my 2c and point anybody interested over to this page that
I found a good while back:

(so-called) Kantian quantum mechanics
http://www.friesian.com/space-2.htm

> These days, many of us working on quantum gravity believe that
> causality itself is fundamental -- and is thus meaningful even at a
> level where the notion of space has disappeared.
- Lee Smolin, The Trouble with Physics, The Rise of String Theory, the
Fall of a Science, and What Comes Next [Houghton Mifflin Company, 2006,
pp.240, 241].

Quoted from the page. Kelley L. Ross, author. The HTML version (link
above) has formatting and emphasis and so on, so go check it if you're
able to, but the excerpt below provides a good place to start reading.

What is the most striking in Feynman's version of quantum mechanics is
his impatience with the wave-particle duality:
For many years after Newton, partial reflection by two surfaces was
happily explained by a theory of waves, but when experiments were made
with very weak light hitting photomultipliers, the wave theory
collapsed:  as the light got dimmer and dimmer, the photomultipliers
kept making full-sized clicks -- there were just fewer of them. Light
behaved as particles. [pp.23-24, boldface added]

This is the key to Feynman's views:  he likes particles and is not
interested in waves. This puts him more in the metaphysical camp of
Einstein and the older realists and out of step with the developments
detailed above which try and preserve the determinism of the wave
function. He definitely doesn't like duality:
You had to know which experiment you were analyzing in order to tell if
light was waves or particles. This state of confusion was called
the "wave-particle duality" of light, and it was jokingly said by
someone that light was waves on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; it
was particles on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and on Sundays, we
think about it! It is the purpose of these lectures to tell you how
this puzzle was finally "resolved." [p.23, note]

The puzzle, however, was not "resolved," which may be why Feynman here
carefully puts that word in "scare" quotes. We get a fuller statement
here:
...the wave theory cannot explain how the detector makes equally loud
clicks as the light gets dimmer. Quantum electrodynamics "resolves"
this wave-particle duality by saying that light is made of particles
(as Newton originally thought), but the price of this great advancement
of science is a retreat by physics to the position of being able to
calculate only the probability that a photon will hit a detector,
without offering a good model of how it actually happens. [p.37]

It is worse than that, since Feynman himself must say that the light
goes everywhere at once, follows all possible paths, which is something
a single finite particle can't do, regardless of the probability of
where it may be found by a detector (cf. p.46, about diffraction
gratings). So the wave-particle duality is not so easily "resolved."
Indeed, Feynman himself later describes rather well how the
wave-particle duality works:
Nature has got it cooked up so we'll never be able to figure out how She
does it:  if we put instruments in to find out which way the light
goes, we can find out, all right, but the wonderful interference
effects disappear. But if we don't have instruments that can tell which
way the light goes, the interference effects come back! Very strange,
indeed! [p.81]

With this, we don't need the "Monday, Wednesday, and Friday" rule. If we
know where the particle is, then clearly it can't be everywhere, and
the effects that depend on it being everywhere (interference,
diffraction), disappear. If we don't know where the particle is, then
all the effects explicable by wave mechanics appear. When the cat is
away, the mice will play.

But Feynman also retreats occasionally from his flat "light is made of
particles" assertion:
In fact, both objects [i.e. electrons and photons] behave somewhat like
waves, and somewhat like particles. In order to save ourselves from
inventing new words such as "wavicles," we have chosen to call these
objects "particles." [p.85]

So now they aren't really particles, we have just "chosen" to call them
that, just to avoid irritating neologisms. This is rather different
from the "the wave theory collapsed" stage of the account. But are we
really dealing with something like "wavicles"? No, because these things
actually don't behave "somewhat like waves, and somewhat like
particles" -- they behave entirely like waves in some situations, and
entirely like particles in others. And what is the difference? As
Feynman understands quite well himself, we get particles with
localizing detectors, waves without.

Given his preference for particles, what Feynman does is create a
mathematical means of duplicating the effects of wave mechanics. His
system is called "summing over histories." The "histories" are all the
possible tracks that a particle can take, like a photon reflecting off
of a surface. The Classical rule is that light follows the shortest
path, and that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of
reflection. Most possible paths violate both these rules. What Feynman
does is that each possible path is represented by a vector. The length
of the vector can be the square root of the probability of the particle
going that way, but for reflections (in Chapter 2), Feynman makes the
arrows of "arbitrary standard length" (p.41). What is important is the
direction of the arrow, and that is determined by a little "stopwatch,"
which runs, with the arrow rotating as the hand of the watch, as the
particle travels. The direction of the arrow when the watch stops gives
us what we need to work with. The vectors of a number of possible paths
are then put end to end ("summed"). It turns out that vectors for
lengthy and improbable paths point in many different directions and
result in little net length when put end to end. When we look at the
area representing the least distance and the least time, confirming to
the classical rules, the vectors point in more or less the same
direction; and when they are put end to end add up to a substantial
vector, whose square is the overall probability of the particle taking
that path. What we get is therefore more or less the Classical result.

I do not mean that to be a comprehensive explanation, just enough to
give us a picture here. Anyone wanting more detail should consult QED
itself. The key element is the "stopwatch," which gives us the
direction of the vector, which makes it possible that the vectors are
going to add up to something or cancel each other out. But this is a
very unusual stopwatch. It does not measure time. Feynman says, "the
stopwatch hand turns around faster when it times a blue photon compared
to a red photon" [p.47]. What is it that is "faster" about blue light
than red light? Not the velocity, not the rate of time itself (no
Relativistic effect here), just the frequency. The rate of
the "stopwatch" is determined by the frequency of the photon. But
particles do not have frequencies. Waves do. Feynman's stopwatch
corresponds, not to time, like ordinary watches, but to the phase of a
wave function. The summing of the vectors reproduces the interference
effects of waves.

Thus Feynman is able to smuggle characteristics of waves into a theory
that is supposed to be about particles. There seems little pretence
here that the "stopwatch" represents anything the particle is actualy
doing, as a particle. It is simply a mathematical device that gets us
good results, and its very abstraction and dissociation obscures its
correspondence to the natural characteristics and behavior of waves.
Feynman, again, seems to rather enjoy the peculiarity of it. As he says
elsewhere:
...adding arrows for all the ways an event can happen -- there is no
need for an uncertainty principle! [p.56]

But the uncertainty principle is not eliminated by the little arrows.
Not only does it remain uncertain where particles are when they are
behaving like waves, but it remains impossible that they should be any
one place in particular to do what they do. Feynman's enthusiasm
mistakes a mathematical abstraction for a substantive conclusion -- a
precise and excellent example of the Sin of Galileo. But Feynman knows
better than this. He knows that successful mathematics in a successful
theory does not mean that we understand what is going on. But he gets
carried away, and it is always a temptation to explain what is not
understood as something that cannot and need not be understood. We see
that in the following passage:
I am not going to explain how the photons actually "decide" whether to
bounce back to go through; that is not known. (Probably the question
has no meaning.) [p.24]

Not only does it have meaning but there is even an answer:  the photons
both bounce back and go through, just as Schrödinger's Cat is both dead
and alive. They can do that as waves. They can't do that as particles
(unless we use an indefinite number of particles, even in single
particle experiments, as Feynman does). Which is the problem. What the
photon must "decide" is where it is going to be when the wave function
collapses. This is the crux of quantum indeterminacy, and Feynman
simply doesn't want to deal with it.

But it is a problem larger than quantum mechanics. It is a problem of
the metaphysics of possibility and probability, which no physicist or
metaphysician (or physician) has done a very good job of dealing with.
When we have just rolled three or four "boxcars" in a row (i.e. 12 on
the dice), how do the dice then "know" that it is time to even out the
statistical average by avoiding boxcars for a while in the future? Of
course, the dice can't "know" because the earlier rolls of the dice
have no physical effect on the later ones. But we have similar
situations with sub-atomic particles. How do atoms of Uranium "know"
that enough other atoms have decayed to account for the statistical
half-life of the isotope, and that they need to wait, perhaps for
millennia, to decay? Again, it looks like they can't "know," but the
individual events just happen to conform to the statistical average.
The standard response of the mathematician to give up at that point (or
say that it is a question that "has no meaning") is now troubled by the
results of the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) Paradox, discussed above.
Distant particles, whose properties have some indeterminate quantum
correlation, "know" instantaneously what happens to the other
particles, if this implies determinate states. This happens
without "hidden variables," i.e. without determinate but unknown
properties of the particles. What it means is that the wave function is
a physical connection and that its collapse is instantaneous, violating
Special Relativity. If we apply this to dice throwing, it could mean
that the dice do "know," without any Classical physical connection,
what has happened in the past.

Richard Feynman, of course, has no intention, and really no interest, in
getting into such territory. His statement that the question of how
particles "decide" where to go probably "has no meaning" is an
afterthought in which fragments of philosophical theory bob like
flotsam in the flood. What it would get Feynman, as a theory, is that
Nature is incomprehensible because it cannot be understood, i.e. there
is no meaning for understanding to get. If true, this would certainly
justify his phlegmatic disinterest -- "theoretical physics has given up
on that." But Feynman really expresses it more as a wishful thought, or
as a decision, than as a real conclusion. It is a limit that he is
willing to accept, because what interests him is the mathematical
technique that is productive of the predictive results. That is the
real stuff, and the philosophical questions, the metaphysics, are less
important -- as, in physics, they actually are less important.

Feynman's quantum mechanics in the end benefits from the abstraction
that is possible in scientific theories. Not all questions need to be
answered, understood, or even addressed to have a successful theory
with dramatic results. It is therefore no disqualification to Feynman's
greatness that he didn't resolve the basic philosophical problems of
quantum mechanics. Certainly nobody else has. What is of interest is
his theory as an example of one direction in which we can go with
particles alone, avoiding wave mechanics, even though, in the end,
characteristics of wave mechanics (the "stopwatch") must be attached,
rather extraneously, to the particles. This is revealing -- namely that
the physical waves in fact cannot be dispensed with, as Feynman himself
occasionally seems aware, as when he says that his "particles,"
hitherto the vindication of Newton, are actually "somewhat" like waves.