[ExI] Future and past was Many Worlds

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Jan 9 15:14:17 UTC 2008

On 1/9/08, hkhenson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
> At 09:22 PM 1/8/2008, Rafal wrote:
> >On Jan 8, 2008 10:41 PM, hkhenson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > One of the things which falls out is that the past is as uncertain as
> > > the future.  I.e., *many* pasts could have contributed to the current
> > > reality (whatever that happens to be).
> >
> >### I'd rather say, 1 << N(past) << N(future). The number of possible
> >futures is much larger than the number of possible pasts, and both are
> >unimaginably numerous.
>
> Time symmetry would argue for the number of past and future states to
> be the same.  I don't think it is a good idea to go any further with
> this line of thinking.

I'm intrigued by Rafal's claim, but I come to the same symmetrical
result as does Keith.

I can imagine reasons why pursuing this topic might be demoralizing to
some, but I don't see it as a "bad idea" to try to increase
understanding of this.  Rafal, can you provide a rational
justification for your claim?

- Jef