[ExI] The Man Who Wanted Stars (Dan McLaughlin, 1965)

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:10:00 UTC 2008

A small book that I picked up the other day in my Half Price Books
index-browsing session. Here's what the cover and excerpt writes:

One man on all Earth sill believed in spaceflight. One man knew the
burning urgency of mankind's next great step into the unknown. It had a
fine beginning. The ships had gone out -- to the moon first, and then
to Mars, Venus, and Mercury. And Murchison ventured into the asteroids,
and Quintero dared the sun's flaming atmosphere. Men -- all heroes --
ranged the new frontier. But then the politicians killed it. They
dragged home the venturous ones -- the ones who dared -- and took away
from them Man's most challenging frontier. But it would come back. It
had to come back. Even if Joe Webber had to build the rockets with his
own bare hands. Even if he had to snatch men off the streets, and seal
them in the rockets, and shoot them off at the stars. The high, cold
stars.

*Unfortunately* those are the best lines out of the entire book. But
still an interesting meme to pass along.

- Bryan