[ExI] Clark abstract

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Jan 10 14:33:02 UTC 2008

On 1/10/08, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem I see with "political correctness" is that it is mostly a
> public fashion.

<snip>

> I.e. It is only a current etiquette for behaving in public, not an EP
> driven instinct.

How could any pattern of behavior, within a given environment, be
independent of the (evolved) nature of the organism?  So it seems
you're making a finer distinction based on the degree of self-aware
intentionality involved in the behavior.  I.e. if a person consciously
reasons about their choice of expression with regard to politically
sensitive issues, then it's considered "intentional" and
"non-instinctual"?  And when such behavior becomes habitual -- no
longer consciously chosen -- then it remains in the "non-instinctual"
category?  And when large numbers of people reliably demonstrate such
behaviors under similar circumstances, we call it "fashion", as
distinct from evolved nature?

I see...

BTW, my New Year's Resolution was to practice being more politically
correct. Seriously.  So far, I'm finding it very difficult.

- Jef

Fashions and fads operate largely according to widely acknowledged
psychological factors, which buttons and levers are intentionally
manipulated by marketeers, able to affect the flow