[ExI] Clark abstract

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Jan 10 16:17:25 UTC 2008

BillK writes

> The problem I see with "political correctness" is that it is mostly a
> public fashion.

Yes, that is exactly what I said Tuesday evening:

     Why ask for an EP explanation of a very recent *fashion*?
     Throughout most of history there has been little or no
     reluctance to discuss group differences.

> You have to be seen to be behaving in a PC fashion, otherwise the dogs
> start hounding you to apologise for your despicable statements. Many
> people (myself included) hold opinions that disagree strongly with the
> current PC fashion. But we have learned to keep our mouths shut in
> public.

Why do you care what people think, mister Fine Man? It's not like
they'll stone you or bring you before the inquisition. At least not yet.

> I.e. It is only a current etiquette for behaving in public, not an EP
> driven instinct.

Yes, but you *must* acknowledge that all behaviors are brought
about by *some* evolutionarily derived mechanism.  (Because if
you don't, then we'll start hounding you, and you don't want that.)

The proof that you and I are correct is that until the 1960's,
very little was ever said that could be remotely called Politically
Correct in the current manner. (True, in the west, ever since
the French Revolution it has been understood that the masses
have power, and that appeals to emotion are effective---which
lies behind so much of PC.)

Ergo, this fashion, this particular flavor of political expression,
is *not* in our genes, any more than are particular tastes in
clothing or choice of language.

Lee