[ExI] Clark abstract

Joshua Cowan jcowan5 at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 10 16:54:07 UTC 2008

Lee writes:

Snip:

>Of course, this is *not* to say that we should ignore suffering---far
>from it. But our conclusions should be based on a careful weighing
>of costs and benefits, even statistics. It's better, for example, for a
>very few children to starve to death than for millions to be destitute
>and have no propects.  But to grok that last sentence, one needs to
>really understand what "million" means, and most people, sadly,
>don't have that ability in such a context.

I can't help wondering if the use of the word "very" as in "very few
children to starve..." was an unconscious bowing to the underlying
psychological mechanisms that encourage PC. To be more specific, perhaps
people will save the few if they are described in more detail and with an
eye to emotional response (for example, identifying them as children) rather
than help the "millions" who are less fully realized (millions of people?
Millions of old people who are about to die anyway...).