[ExI] "create our own realities"

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 03:04:50 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 January 2008, John Grigg wrote:
> I realize the way "New Agers" sometimes refer to "creating our own
> reality" can seem very corny and incorrect to people who pride
> themselves on being highly analytical.  But I think *up to a point*
> they are very right in that so many people (including myself) box
> themselves in based on false notions of what their limitations happen
> to be.  And so if a person can break those limiting beliefs they can
> quite literally "create a new reality."

I see what you mean. But let's take this to the extreme. You cannot
create a new reality, i.e. VR, it will always be 'virtual' and it will
always be a simulation. And not the hardcore reality.

Rewriting reality is *hard*. As qualified as we'd like to think we are
to go about hacking up reality, it's just seriously difficult. The
trick, I suppose, is to make it look much easier and go do things that
are already well known. If I were a node of a jbrain, perhaps I'd be
able to rewrite the reality around me -- change my friends, my family,
my environment. But that's some seriously tough stuff.

To create a new reality, you have to incrementally move from what you
already have to what you need to get to. Transforming a certain context
into another might be less than worth it in some scenarios.

- Bryan