[ExI] Many Worlds (was: A Simulation Argument)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Jan 13 17:58:14 UTC 2008

"Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>

> If you send a photon through a filter at 45 degrees and someone
> far away sends the corresponding entangled photon through a
> similar filter,

Then there is a 100% probability the photon will make it through that
second filter ten billion light years away because it is set at the same
45 degree angle and the experiment is over. Perhaps you'd want to set
the other filter at 90 degrees then there would be a 50 50 chance.

> If it weren't for the "weird correlation", then there would actually be
> four universes

What's the big deal, if you want 4 I'll give you 4, universes are cheap.

> and each such worthy would weep "alas there is no correlation
> between what >happens here and what happens there, our
> entanglementation did fail".  But when entanglement succeeds,
> there are just the two universes

I don't understand what you are saying, entanglement always succeeds.
I don't understand your thought experiment, let me try one of my own.

Some physical processes produce 2 photons that have the same
polarization but move in opposite directions. A billion years before I
was born somebody in the Virgo Cluster started making pairs of
photons that have identical but unknown polarization. He sent one
stream of photons to the earth, a billion light years away and he sent
the second stream of photons to the Coma cluster in the opposite
direction from the earth also a billion light years away.

A billion years later on Earth I spin my polarizer to a random direction
and record its position, I observe if the photon made it through the
polarizer or not and record that too, the exact time also. Now I spin
the polarizer again and do the same thing for the next photon and then
for the next several thousand photons. When his stream of photons
reach my friend in the Coma Cluster he does the same thing with his photons.

Now I decide to visit my friend. I get in a space ship with my records
and blast off for the Coma Cluster at 99% of the speed of light.
After 2 billion years I arrive in the Coma Cluster, we must be in the
same universe because I can shake his hand.

I now compare notes with my friend. I notice that the direction I had
my polarizer turned to and the direction my friend had his turned to
were different, not very surprising since both were picked at random,
but then I find something astounding. The square of the cosign of the
angle between the 2 detectors for each photon pair is proportional to
the probability that a photon will make it through my friend's detector.
That is weird and I see no reason to put the word in quotation marks;
I know of no theory that can remove that weirdness.

  John K Clark