[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 20:59:55 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 5:47 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Still, I need to take issue with this descriptive e claim you made -
> legality and legitimacy do, in fact, prevent people from saving their
> own lives. After all, people in need of a transplant do not usually
> hunt down a donor and rip out a liver or kidney that could save their
> life. Firemen, policemen and soldiers obey the oaths they took, and
> march into fire. Owners of bicycles do not kill SUV drivers to claim a
> safer mode of transportation.

Absolutely. And heroes goes happily to death to fight for their
country/community/family/religion/visions.

But you may have also noticed that there have always been people
violently, albeit futilely, resisting lawful execution, or stealing
food to avoid death by starvation.

And I am pretty sure that many would consider "violent" whatever
attempt at enforcing "property" of longevity technologies might took
place. Because, you know, to do that you would require guns,
policemen, electrified fences and so on, more or less as to enforce an
attempt to assert property on breathing air.

Now, my point is not taking side about that. I simply encourage
realism in this respect

Stefano Vaj