[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:55:52 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 4:38 AM, spike wrote:
> Ja.  We don't have that in the states.  Social security payments not only
> are not means tested, it is illegal to change the rules to make it so.  It
> isn't a need-based safety net, but rather a forced pension fund.
>
> Some governments might pay for some life extension technologies, but the US
> will not.  The individual is on her own here.

The great majority of medical expenditure in first world countries is
in fighting the battle of the last five years of life.  Countries who
have a national health service, like Europe and Australia will welcome
life extension if it involves a small one-off payment or small ongoing
costs.  (They might not be so keen if the costs are horrendous and
ongoing).

The basic problem with the US is that medical care there has a large
profit element and companies will be reluctant to remove their biggest
revenue (profit) source. Their only alternative will be to make the
charges for life extension treatments high enough to compensate for
their loss of profit elsewhere.

Nothing personal, it's just business.

BillK