[ExI] You Know (was: You know what?)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 13:26:27 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 10:39 AM, Dagon Gmail <dagonweb at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Like hell, you know.
>
>  Y'know wha'I'm sayin?

There again, the abuse is horrible, but the meaning is quite plain: "I
invoke your existing, direct, and independent knowledge of the matter,
counting on that basis that you will agree with what I am about to
say"; or "given my articulation deficit I am at a loss in explaining
myself in full, but I expect your sympathy and an effort from your
side to fill in the dots and guess what I ultimately mean even though
I cannot express it properly".

I am more perplexed by verbal habits the original semantics of which
escapes me completely.

Stefano Vaj