[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 00:08:13 UTC 2008

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:55:52AM +0000, BillK wrote:

> > The basic problem with the US is that medical care there has a large
> > profit element and companies will be reluctant to remove their biggest
> > revenue (profit) source. Their only alternative will be to make the
> > charges for life extension treatments high enough to compensate for
> > their loss of profit elsewhere.

### Tell me, why would a life-extension company (a bunch of eager
young people who want to make oodles of cash on radical
life-extension) pay attention to "medical care" professionals? Did Mr
Ford pay attention to buggy-whip makers? No?

The simple outcome of trade is that people get to buy what they want,
and not what some vendors are trying to sell. Always, in the
unregulated market, companies that offer new and more desired
solutions (radical life extension) directly competing old and inferior
solutions (medical care as usual), win. Always.

The price of life extension will be dictated not by some magnolious
notions of "profit loss elsewhere" but by the productivity of the
marginal provider.

Rafal