[ExI] The Open Future Foundation

Antonio Marcos amcmr2003 at yahoo.com.br
Sat Jan 26 01:49:37 UTC 2008

 Eventually, the foundations might probably pop up on
their own.

I would like to discuss though, and see what people
here think about the issues openscience raises:

1) People abusing the discoveries made this way,
patenting, etc..

  I would say it would be more or less protected if it
acted like a university, though with public
discussions even for research.
  So it would patent its discoveries.. but then it
collides with your idea of a purely open model.
  A real fouNdation (or something :)) would be needed.

2) Economic impact this might cause:
   How being so open would destabilize processes.. And
how to deal with opponents of the idea.
   Would people adopting this only do research as a
hobby? if not, how would they feed themselves.
   And either way, how would research be funded?
Donations? Like many sites do? Own pocket?

3) Security and Responsability:
  How to prevent misuse of the knowledge, i dont see a
completely open, as you suggest, model being able to
do anything about it..
  Maybe its not needed, people would eventually know
better(?!) or monitor themselves.
  Maybe its useless anyway, and all would eventually
get in the open.
  But wouldnt this mean that eventually openness would
be frowned uppon? maybe even science?!(doesnt many
people are already suspicious about it? I read
something along those lines these days)

  I would suggest a more organized community, but i
guess that will eventually come about.
  When people need a satellite to conduct some
experiment maybe :) lol

4) Any big issues im missing here? Somehow the idea
backfiring?: Monopolization of knowledge?

Mark.

PS.: Hopefully thats better formatted, though i wasted
10x the time i would otherwise have (will fix soon ^^)

http://br.mail.yahoo.com/