[ExI] John C. Wright Interview

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 02:15:13 UTC 2008

At 04:39 PM 1/25/2008 -0800, Jef wrote:

>I rather enjoy the last several lines.

Yes, Molly Bloom's rapturous closing lines that complete ULYSSES are
about as justly famous as anything in 20th century literature.

John Wright is a very smart guy, and a powerful writer in his own
modes (his forthcoming sequel to van Vogt's NULL-A novels is
astonishing), so I'm surprised by his vehement opposition to Joyce's
complex novel, and his silly "nyah nyah you're all just pretending to
like it". But I was even more astonished by his retreat from atheism
in favor of the vulgarity of Christian "Science" (at least it wasn't
Scientology, which captured poor van Vogt for years); he is a man
with his own rather distinctive canon of values.

Damien Broderick