[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jan 27 10:55:25 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008, at 6:44 AM, Antonio Marcos wrote:

>> On 24/01/2008, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> BillK I tend to think of the profit element as the
>> basic solution with the
>>> US medical care system rather than the problem.
>> The profit element is why
>>> so much cool new medical technology is discovered
>> here.
>>

> The profit element is why so much cool new medical
> technology is needed here.

That is putting the cart before the horse I think.  Are you saying the
motive for investing substantial funds in new medical technology R & D
is to be able to change even greater cost to customers?     That is a
bit of a perversion of simple business logic of developing something
at less cost than it will be valued at by those who wish to have or
use it.

> But it will never fix any problem since new 'cool'
> medical technology won't be needed, eliminating the
> profit element.

Do you really believe the world is that cynical or controlled by those
who are that cynical?    If no problems were ever fixed then humanity
would never have left the cave.

- samantha