[ExI] Leeson

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jan 28 06:34:54 UTC 2008

On Jan 26, 2008, at 5:44 PM, frank McElligott wrote:

> My favorite guy was Leeson  in Asia who lost 35 billion and who
> brought
> Capitalism to a halt in A England bank(it went belly up) when there
> was a
> earth quake
> in Japan,

> But the guy in France who put 60 Billion on the table while earning
> less a
> 100 grand a year has replaced him.

Do you think any of this has anything at all to do with capitalism?
Do you think it is cool or just desserts when the accumulated savings
(that not consumed) of so many people are squandered in a moment?

> When you talk about Capitalism, at Davos where the Russians are saying
> they(Moscow) is  the place for safety in these troubled time of the
> credit
> mess.

So much will be laid at capitalism's door that was really in largest
part the work of a governments supposedly protecting us from the
purported ill effects of capitalism.   Wacky financial houses of cards
have been erected and collapsed at the end of every empire in
history.   It doesn't have a lot to do with capitalism per se.

> Hey, the world is collapsing around us and you still talk like
> capitalism is
> King, guess what the events of this year say NO no no. There must be a
> better system,,One that is a little more safe:)

The events of this year say nothing really about the good or ill of
capitalism.   The glee of some in the destruction of wealth and human
well being speaks volumes however.

- samantha