[ExI] Oil will never run out

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 02:47:26 UTC 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008, Samantha Atkins wrote:
> The idea that the Singularity is going to come real soon now (RSN)
> and   save us all before we get into too bad a pickle is far worse
> than Wishful Thinking.   IMHO of course.

So, the way that I verbalize this is that it's somewhat of
a 'blackswan'. It's not a good idea to base any of your plans, ever, on
any strategy whatsoever that relies on a blackswan, since that
instantly makes it ungrounded and completely impractical until some
staggering innovation comes along that you just don't have the path to
access to.

I'm not saying that some marvelous technology will soon be invented out
of the voids and depths of human society to save us all. I've given
rather specific details before, so just hand waving it as a 'absurdly
complex, impossible Singularity' is ridiculous.

- Bryan