[ExI] ants again

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Jul 1 14:05:20 UTC 2008

Dear Spike,

Is it possible that the male ants could be of the flying variety?
If so, that's trouble for you.. they could carry off some of the
aphids to another tree.

I would make an all-out assault on the ants-aphids, if I were you,
and unleash an army of ladybugs to deal with the problem. And show
Isaac what happens when humans wish to modify their corner of an
elaborate ecosystem. Could be educational for both of you!

Last April, I gave my 7 year old nephew an ant farm for his birthday..
I should have just sent him to your fruit trees!  ;-)

Ciao,
Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado