[ExI] Transgender man gives birth to a baby girl

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 08:53:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:17 AM, spike wrote:

> The CNN article mentioned that the parents already had two daughters and
> several grandchildren, but wanted a male heir so badly that they sold
> everything and borrowed on a credit card to pay for the fertility
> treatments.  If this is so, and the mother is 70 and the father is 78, now
> deeply in debt, I wonder what they thought this heir would inherit?
>
> Humans are a funny species.

The original news report from India is here:
<http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEW20080702073200&Page=W&Title=Offbeat&Topic=0>

Quote:

Charan Singh was keen on having a son.
'We have plenty of agriculture land in Doghat village but we did not
have any heir to look after us. In our clan, daughters are the 'assets
of others'. Parents have to nurture them only to run others'
household. In the absence of a son, parents are considered issueless,'
Singh told IANS.

His younger daughter Amrish is happy.
'On the request of our parents, we wanted to offer one of our children
to our parents but our in-laws did not agree. Then our parents had no
option but to go for a treatment,' Amrish said.

Doghat town council chairman Vairan Panwar added: 'In our parts, the
clan system still continues. Although Charan Singh had two grown-up
daughters with six grandchildren, he was presumed issueless. If
daughters' in-laws had agreed to offer one of their male children for
adoption, the couple would not have to go for more children.'

It's a very different world that they live in.

BillK