[ExI] Upon pondering your freedoms: _The Soviet Story_ documentary

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Jul 5 06:44:41 UTC 2008

Spike:
>>  ...On Behalf Of Amara Graps
>>  One might add a bit more irony and coincidence when I note
>>  that the day in which I am writing this summary, July 4, is a
>>  U.S. holiday to celebrate the U.S. Constitution...

>Well, actually the Declaration of Independence.  Constitution day is 17
>September.

Thanks for the correction, Spike.

>>... in a time
>>  when that particular document is in shambles from the actions
>>  of its own government...

>Actually we may be on the road to recovery.

My list of abuses:

http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2008-June/044135.html

is devastating, at least to me. I think any recovery will take at
least one generation.

>Five of the nine supreme court
>justices ruled recently that the "right to keep and bear arms shall not be
>infringed" means exactly what it says.  We have reason to be optimistic.

I agree that this is a very important step forward. The 'founding
fathers' wrote what they did to prevent a tyranny from occurring
again. Since the tyranny is in motion, and has been for some time
in the US Federal government, now there is a legal way again to
check it. Let's see how that ruling is interpreted and implemented.

Meanwhile, on July 8, the Senate will debate, and are scheduled to
vote, on the FISA expansion and telecom immunity bill. I predict
that there are still too many spineless people in Congress to
follow the guidelines set in writing in the Constitution and will
pass the bill.

And for your entertainment pleasure:

Snuggly, the Security Bear
http://www.markfiore.com/snuggly_0

"We're watching you because we love you!"

>>  So how might one view The Soviet Story documentary? At this
>>  time, I found one way: a bit torrent .avi file from here:
>>
>>  http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4217790/The.Soviet.Story%5BDivX.2008.Eng%5D

>Thanks for the link Amara!

You're welcome. Here is a good review in The Economist:

Telling the Soviet story
http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11401983

Ciao,
Amara