[ExI] Upon pondering your freedoms

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 18:35:57 UTC 2008

--- spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> >...On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
> >
> > I wonder if you could clarify one small point, Spike, for the
> > sake of a visiting outlander. What was meant by that
> > strangely anomalous opening passage "A well regulated
> > militia, being necessary to the security of a free state"? ...
> >
> > Damien Broderick
>
> That's the bad news Damien.  That comment means we can be drafted.  Anyone
> who owns weapons or has the right to own weapons is automatically part of
> the militia that is necessary to the security.  Most everyone here would
> agree that Americans are already well regulated, extremely regulated.
> Regulated to the edge of insanity we are.  Every freedom has its price.  The
> possibility of receiving a draft notice is ours.

I would go so far as to issue every man and woman over 18 in the U.S. an
assault rifle to be kept in their home and be trained in in how to use and
maintain it similar to the Swiss model. Vegetius said "Si vis pacem, para
bellum" or "if you want peace, prepare for war", and the Swiss have not had to
wage war since Napoleon. In my America, the 9/11 hijackers would have tried to
seize the plane and a dozen passengers would have drawn handguns on them and
told them to sit down and shut up. The worst that would have happened is that
we would have lost those planes. The price of freedom is that *YOU* have to
watch the watchers.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"In ancient times they had no statistics so that they had to fall back on lies."- Stephen Leacock