[ExI] second amendment rights

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:50:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:
> Stefano, practically the same people have been in the Italian government
> for decades, only reshuffled around.

Absolutely. Even the so-called Second Republic changed very little,
and it was a development at least partly dictated from abroad (see the
Sigonella episode).

But I was referring to somewhat more dramatic changes of regime.

The Italian patriotes during our wars of independence were armed,
fascists in the 20s were armed, anti-fascists in the mid-forties were
armed, communist revolutionaries in the 70s were armed. Only, hardly
anybody of them ever thought of renouncing the opportunity of imposing
a new monopoly on arms as soon as they could... :-)

> How changed would the Italian
> government be if there was another quasi-permanent document in place
> that mandated that Italy had a government where particular abuses
> (separation of government and media, for example) could not happen?

Mmhhh, I suspect that whatever weak trends may exist in that direction
are the fruit of an American cultural influence. The Left opposes Mr.
Berlusconi's semi-monopoly on the information because it is Mr.
Berlusconi's, but they would not see anything especially wrong in
enjoying a similar position themselves, as they would be the
"legitimate" owner of the same.

Stefano Vaj