[ExI] The Dogs of Immortality

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 05:32:35 UTC 2008

2008/7/10 The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>:

> --- Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know about the US, but here in Oz I'm pretty sure you'd be
>> expected to pay tax on those euros, gift certificates, barter,
>> whatever. Income is income. But of course IANAL.
>
> I suppose so but if you decide to fix someone's computer for a chicken then how
> would the government *know* you got a chicken?

Well you hope they don't...

> And if they did find out, how
> would they collect 30% of your chicken?

No, they'd bill you for the dollar value of 30% of the chicken plus
penalties, plus the possibility of prosecution.

> Would they have to accept a wing and a
> drumstick as taxes? Or let's say someone works for simple room and board. How
> is the government supposed to tax that?

No, they'd bill you for the dollar value of simple room and board plus
penalties, plus the possibility of prosecution.

> And if you don't pay would they throw
> you in prison and give you room and board on tax payer's money?

Yeah, of course. You didn't think this was about maximising revenue,
did you? You know, it could even be about that... throw a few of us
proles in the slammer at prohibitive expensive, the others tow the
line. Heads on pointy sticks, it never gets old!

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com