[ExI] A nanotube Radio

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 11 05:49:51 UTC 2008

If we intend to inject nanomachines into the human body to make
repairs we are going to need a way to communicate with them
from the outside. In what may be the first man made nanomachine
that really deserves the name machine researchers at Berkeley
have made a fully functional FM radio so small that you need an
electron microscope to see it.

http://www.physics.berkeley.edu/research/zettl/projects/nanoradio/radio.html

I liked the movie made with a electron microscope as the radio
received the musical theme of the movie Star Wars, it's a little
scratchy but not bad at all! They use a single carbon nanofiber,
when the radio is miss-tuned you can see the fiber but when they
get the tuning right and John Williams theme comes on strong the
fiber is vibrating so fast the microscope can't see it. I thought it was
cool as hell!

 John K Clark