[ExI] upon pondering your next million years

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jul 12 16:52:51 UTC 2008

Our own Dr. Broderick is far too modest.

On a flight from Eugene Oregon to San Francisco, I went into the SFO
bookstore on the B concourse.  The most promenent books are displayed on a
separate stand right in front as one enters the store, where all the hottest
titles are displayed flat, cover facing out, as opposed to stacked in the
back as in a library.  This is prime real estate in a bookstore which itself
in the center of prime real estate for bookstores, at the crossroads of the
main concourse for outgoing domestic Untied Airlines flights, displaying the
most notable new books.

On that lofty honored shelf I saw a white covered book with the intriguing
title Million Years, edited by our own Dr. Damien Broderick.

Million Years is a collection of essays by several ExI-chat posters
including such ExI-chat notables as Amara Angelica (what are the odds
against of our small group having *two* brilliant women with the unusual
name Amara?), Robert Bradbury, Rudy Rucker, Anne Corwin, Robin Hanson, Greg
Benford, and Damien himself penned an excellent essay.  If I have missed any
Million Years essayist who have ever posted to ExI-chat, my humblest
apologies for this reprehensible oversight.  Flimsy excuse: I have been a
reader of this list only about the last twelve years.

Damien, your essay in Million soars with eagles.  More on that later in a
separate post.

Robert Bradbury's essay was extremely thought provoking.  Our list may see
curious new members intrigued by his work.  I fear some techno-innocents
might find puzzling some of the concepts that we here find familiar
territory.  An example is that the Matrioshka Brain is mentioned without
actually being defined, at least not at the first citing.  Normal people
will be without a clue.  Perhaps they will scramble for their Google page,
but some will be on an aircraft at the time, as I was.

Altho we do not encourage advertising, a glowing exception is made for
anyone here who actually pens a book that is published by any commercial
publisher.  That kind of advertising is fair game, welcome in fact, strongly
encouraged.  Damien do swallow your modesty and at least casually mention
when such accomplishments are yours, early and often.  Your honors are our
honors.  We glow with pride at being your friend.

My sincerest congratulations to all who contributed to Million Years, for
landing a book on perhaps the most honored shelf in publishing.