[ExI] The Dogs of Immortality

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 21:21:10 UTC 2008

Bit of a rant follows.  Caveat emptor.

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Harvey Newstrom
<mail at harveynewstrom.com> asked:

>... what is the underlying mechanism used to determine what should be taxed and what should not?

The human instinct for despotism energized by the toxic ruthlessness
of political power.

I often hear these complaints about taxation.  One tax or another
spawns an objection, accompanied by one rationale or another.
But it all boils down to resentment.  Resentment of the humiliation
suffered when a guy with a gun and badge and an air of menace takes
"your" money.  If not for the badge -- the insignia of "legality" --
which is to say power -- it would be extortion.  Badge or no badge the
sting of humiliation is the same.

The world is ruled by violence.  Bend over, get a gun, or get creative
and find another way.  But by all means get over it.  The powerful can
do whatever they want, take your money whenever they want, with or
without explanation, as pleases them.  That's what power means, that's
what power is.  Water runs downhill.  It just does.

Much of the discussion takes the form: "But what is the law in the
matter?"  Sad, very sad.  Law is for the little people.  Law is a
tissue to cover the gaping maw of Morlock.   Law is a fairy tale for
little lambies.  Law is a fiction.  Law is a cobweb.

Democracy?  Puleeeeze!  Another fiction for the fiction-based.

Ever seen videos of vast herds of wildebeest or gazelles or other
African hoof-borne fare-for-carnivores?  Know what keeps them "safe"?
Alertness, fleetness of hoof, the anonymity afforded by the vast
numbers of their fellows, and a healthy dose of paranoia.  A modus
vivendi for sheeple, too.  That, or join the carnivores.

But never complain when the carnivores come for you.  Bad enough to
get gnawed on, without the added humiliation of manifest cluelessness.

Sorry, guess I'm in a pissy mood.

Best, Jeff Davis

"We call someone insane who does not
   believe as we do to an outrageous extent."
                       Charles McCabe