[ExI] what does "bear arms" mean now and then?

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sun Jul 13 14:54:40 UTC 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:29:43 -0700
"spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Right on!  I do not consider the framers of the constitution as holding any
> particularly noble station, as being more enlightened than present day
> thinkers, nor do I consider the product of their notions as sacred.

They were just more honest.

They knew many politicians often cannot be trusted, potentially
not even themselves, so they built safeguards into the country's
constitution against power grabs by untrustworthy politicians.

Of course, that doesn't help if people let politicians grab
all the power they want, without using their constitutional
rights to stop them.

To illustrate:

"State troopers rebuke students for singing national anthem"

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=69366

Yes, I know this is the worldnutdaily ... but still :)

--
All rights reversed.