[ExI] The Dogs of Immortality

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jul 15 03:21:50 UTC 2008

> Subject: Re: [ExI] The Dogs of Immortality
>
> Kevin Freels said:
>
> >> What concerns me here is that you say "about seeing the government
> getting THEIR 45%" as if that money belongs to the
> government. That person paid their taxes already. They saved...

Ja and there is another twist.  If the heirs are required to pay 45% of the
assessed value of something like a farm, there is a good chance the entire
farm isn't worth 55% of its assessed value.  Even if it is worth its entire
assessed value, there is very little chance there is enough profit in the
farm itself to pay 45% of its assessed value.  If the will specifies the
farm may not be subdivided and sold in part, or local ordnances prevent
subdividing a farm (as is the case in much of Oregon) then it becomes nearly
impossible for an heir to earn enough money to pay the taxes, or even pay
the interest on a loan taken out to pay the taxes.  So under many
circumstances it becomes nearly impossible to leave a family farm to one's
heirs.

Still we hear people wondering at the disappearance of the family farm.
These farms are lost by families in a defacto seizure by the government at
the end of life of every generation, by the inheritance tax structure.