[ExI] Probability is "subjectively objective".

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jul 15 17:56:49 UTC 2008

At 12:42 PM 7/15/2008 -0400, JKC wrote:

>["Instantaneously," pace relativity] means that I got into my
>spaceship and traveled at 99% the
>speed of light to visit my friend in the Virgo Cluster a billion light
>years away. After a billion years I got there and find that a billion
>years ago what I was doing to my particle was changing what
>was happening to his particle a billion light years away a billion years ago.
>
>I can accept that the above must be true because I can get numbers
>out of the concept and test it, but I still find it weird. I make no claim
>to understand how the world could possibly be that bizarre,

I have a primitive unmathematical intuitive hunch that it's got
something to do with the special status of the mediating exchange
particles that move always and only at c; they are their own
antiparticle and experience no time, and I suspect that this feature
allows you to twang one in a billion years time and it "doesn't know"
when or where on its worldline it got twanged, so it "also" twangs in
sympathy right back at the first possible moment (which we think of
as "emission") but "also" is a misnomer because it's everywhere
identical to itself.

Damien Broderick