[ExI] Probability is "subjectively objective".

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Jul 17 22:28:46 UTC 2008

Stathis writes

> [John Clark wrote]
>
>> And yet when we compare records we find that our particles
>> were doing the exact same thing when they had no business
>> doing so. Bohr found that to be weird, so did Feynman, so do I
>
> It's weird if you assume there is only one real world. You might ask,
> even if there are multiple worlds, why should you end up meeting with
> the co-experimenter who makes the matching measurement rather than one
> of the other co-experimenters in another world? One answer could be,
> for the same reason that when you put an item in a box and walk away
> you will find yourself in a world where it's still in the box later,
> rather than in one of the other worlds where you put it under the bed.

That's an audacious answer, but maybe that's right.

I can imagine meeting an alien for whom all this is such old
stuff it says, "If I find my photon horizontally polarized,
then of course my friend who I'll talk to later will also
find his horizontally polarized, since we live in the same
world 'rather than in one of the other worlds' where we'd
find it vertically polarized."  Perhaps it would be as
obvious to him as finding himself tomorrow in a world
consistent with the world he finds himself today in.

Lee