[ExI] Filtering Digests

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Fri Jul 25 10:32:09 UTC 2008

> I am curious.  Why do people filter?  I'm simply curious because i've never filtered
> anybody.  At what point do you filter somebody?

If there is someone who is consistently abusive, you might filter him until he is
removed from the list or stops emailing you.  Or you might want to filter by thread
subject so the responses don't seem so scattered. I recall using a filter when
someone (not on the ExI list) was inadvertantly spreading viruses and I was tired of
getting emails that upset my anti-virus program.

Or in this gentleman's case, he is using text-to-voice translation, and HTML emails
are crazy sounding when that's done - not to mention an email that contains an
entire day's digest!  That's horrible. I don't read those, myself, there's too much
noise in them. In his case, it is really *noise*.

Years back there were some (mostly one in particular) subjects that became almost
flame wars and people would filter out those to stay uninvolved.

> I read the Extropy because I figure that 70% of the time i will get rational
> response and/or at least be entertained by what people have to say.  Imo, there are
> not too many lists that generate such diverse and creative ideas and substain a rank
> that can compare.  Like Jef said, maybe it's all subjective, maybe it won't amount
> to anything but a mere great listening but I find that highly unlikely.  There are
> some really smart and creative people on the Extropy list, that I am convinced!  I
> wonder why it has existed and generated such mind thoughts after so long?

That's pretty much my position as well. It's mostly a great listening, but the
things I've learned have been many and diverse. :)

Regards,
MB