[ExI] Fwd: Scientists remain PC

Dagon Gmail dagonweb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 14:16:31 UTC 2008

It goes smack in the face of the typical 20/30 year old soon-to-be breeder
that his or her
lifestyle is causing, by a small increment, the destruction of the planet.
No consumer/voter
will implement population checks, until the issue has escalated to a lot
worse than it is now.
Even then, countries with biggest problems tend to be countries with
religious extremism,
authoritarianism and rather inadequate democracies. Can you see a terminally
overpopulated
Saudi Arabia implement a two child per couple policy?

It just doesn't sink in that the more people you have, the less each
individual is worth.
Having an excess of cheap, desperate individuals means cheap labour, which
is in the
interest of those in power, or those with money. This is a conundrum that
can not be
resolved with current science and current democracies. Nobody will address
it, except
for a few with vision, and they will be scorned in return. Voters will
shrug, add another
c'loaf to the sweltering horde as easily as they use plastic bags when
shopping.

This issue will only be resolved if suddenly our anticipated lifespans go up
by a century
and we have to start imagining how the world will be by then. Right now it
is just to easy
to leverage hidden costs over the fence into the neighbor's pond, or dump
the costs of
resource depletion, irreversible environmental decay, species extinction or
overpopulation
to your grand-children's world because you don't have to live in that shit.

My single best argument we need immortality treatments in the 7/11 NOW. Once
people
have to face consequences they'll change their tune really fast. I see no
other way to
resolve many of our problems.