[ExI] a truly ditzy review

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 30 02:40:40 UTC 2008

At 01:37 AM 7/30/2008 +0000, BillK wrote:

>So somebody who has never done an Amazon review before is inspired to
>criticize this book?
>Hmmm.  I suspect a false profile. Somebody doesn't like you or the
>group of writers, Damien.

That was certainly my assessment. The poison pens of cyberspace strike again.

The annoying thing, I thought, is that the remarks are *almost*
defensible about *some aspects* of the book--yet the overall tenor is
a complete misreading, and mad to boot:

"This concept could have worked (could still work) with better, more
imaginative writers. I can only guess that the editor did not have
enough contacts in the science fiction world, or did not try hard
enough to get the best people for the book."

Yeah, right, it's a terrible pity Gregory Benford and Rudy Rucker and
Wil McCarthy and George Zebrowski and Pamela Sargent and Sean Carroll
and Robert Bradbury et al are not among the best and most imaginative
in science and sf.... Really?

Damien Broderick