[ExI] "Death gives meaning to life?"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 11 23:56:53 UTC 2008

At 11:26 PM 6/11/2008 +0000, BillK wrote:

>If nobody ever died, and life just goes on with no end, then there is
>less pressure to do stuff. They can always do it next year if they
>want to.

How do you know this? From all those sad cases of bone-idle immortals
in our midst from prehistory?

I can assure you that I feel a damned sight less pressure to do stuff
now that my body and brain are breaking down, and knowing that I'll
be dead meat in the next 5, 10 or 20 years--and if it's 20 years,
I'll probably be brain-dead meat anyway. That foul prospect corrodes
me, comrade, it does nothing to concentrate my mind wonderfully.

Damien Broderick