[ExI] MAX MORE in Second Life yesterday

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:05:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> They have to occur in complex adaptive
> systems.  Further that "humans as they are known today are no longer
> significant in shaping the world" is assumptive based on single-track
> thinking that SI will occur outside of human and that humans will not be a
> part of the SI advance.
>
> My particular theory is that the SI will be combined human and connective
> intelligence – thus the posthuman, or whatever anyone wants to call it.  I
> use posthuman because the term is familiar in academic literature.

Not only could I not agree more, but have sometimes the feelings that
while postmodernist academia may have a too casual attitude towards
what are the real technoscientific issues and state of the art and
expected evolutions, at the same time concepts as "human",
"existential", "natural", "artificial", "survival", "identity" are
often taken in a too acritical, if not naive, sense by us of all.

In fact, it is not necessary to swear by Foucault's or Lyotard's words
to suspect that artificial intelligence has already taken over the
world, namely with the appearance and deliberate, oriented
self-selection of our species. So, what else is new? The real point of
the concept of Singularity is IMHO that of overcoming the linear view
of history, according to which things would simply gradually evolve
along a simple vector, and perspectives would be irrelevant in the
understanding of the world.

Stefano Vaj